Programs and activities suitable for adults which focus on phonemic awareness and decoding skills
- Burt Books (South Africa/UK)
- Freereading (US, has free resources many of which could be adapted for adults)
- Mature Reading Instruction books and MRI Tutor Guide (UK)
- Phonics International (UK), has many free resources, more info on use with adults is here.
- Phonics Resources for Older Learners, or click here for sample pages.
- Reach Higher System 2008 (US)
- Reading Freedom (Aus?)
- Sounds of Reading offers face-to-face tutoring in a synthetic phonics program in NSW, or anywhere via Skype.
- Sound Out Chapter Books, nonfiction and Workbooks (US)
- SPELD-SA’s Intensive Literacy Program (Aus, FREE)
- SPELD-SA’s Phonic books and worksheets (Aust, free downloads)
- Spelling for Older Students (SOS) – free resources from SPELD-SA, for use with classes, but I can’t unzip the files. Maybe you can.
- Stairway to Reading (Canada) – free downloadable program
- That Reading Thing (UK)
- Toe by Toe (UK, uses a buddy system, Australian supplier is Redgate Lane or DSF
Please note that there’s nothing to stop adults from doing a well-designed program that’s primarily designed for teenagers or older children, as long as it’s not too teddy-bearish.