Need help with spelling and/or reading new words?
This website is about resources and strategies to build awareness of sounds in words (phonemic awareness) and spelling pattern knowledge (phonics), and thus spelling and reading word attack.
It includes resource lists to make it easy for you to find evidence-based resources, many of which are part of synthetic phonics programs also targeting fluency, vocabulary and comprehension, three other vital literacy skills.
The Spelfabet teaching materials available from this website are carefully-sequenced, easy-to-use, affordable, downloadable and reproducible, and were designed by an Australian Speech Pathologist for slow-progress readers and spellers, including learners with language difficulties.
These materials should help you explicitly teach blending, segmenting and spelling patterns in tiny, fast steps. They're most suitable for learners with shaky confidence who need heaps of practice and success. You don't need special expertise or hours of training to use them.
- Tours: View video tours of Spelfabet materials: workbooks, games, movable alphabet.
- Freebies: Download free workbook sample pages and a free game to try out.
- Spelling tests: Not sure where to start? Try these video spelling tests.
- Spelling lists: Find free, carefully sequenced spelling lists targeting one new spelling at a time.
- Each sound's spellings: Find the many ways each English speech sound is spelt.
- Each spelling's sound: Find the main sounds represented by each spelling pattern. Impress everyone with your spelling expertise.
- Blog: Reviews of resources and teaching strategies, plain English versions of professional/academic information, and the occasional rant or reflection about literacy-teaching, particularly to learners with language difficulties.
- Consulting: Assessments and goal-setting and programming for struggling readers/spellers, and workshops for schools.