Home programs for ages ~5-7
- Burt Books (South Africa/UK)
- Dandelion readers, workbooks and ibooks and the Split Vowel Spellings set (UK) all from Phonic books, or in Australia from these suppliers.
- Fitzroy Readers and workbooks (Aus), the readers are now available as an iPad app
- Freereading (US, free resources)
- Funnix (US, has free sample)
- Get Reading Right home resources (UK)
- LEM Phonics (Aus)
- Little Learners Love Literacy have a Parent Starter Kit, and I’ve made a video about their lovely books for beginners, which you can watch here.
- My Jolly Phonics kit (UK)
- Phonics4free.org (UK, free home program)
- Phonics International (UK, has many free resources)
- Quantum Literacy (Aus)
- Reading Bear (US, free computer activities)
- Reading Reflex or Phono-Graphix (UK and US versions)
- Reading Teacher (US – free online program)
- Reinforced Reading Program (Aus)
- Sound Foundations (UK)
- Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons (US) – this book is available from many mainstream book vendors
- Teaching Kids To Read by Fay Tran (Aus) – paperback intended to equip any adult to teach children to read.
SPELD-SA has a great little page called Teaching a Child to Read and Write with lots of useful tips
The US National Right To Read Foundation publishes a list of Phonics programs suitable for use at home, which I haven’t had time to go through yet.