These five download-and-print Phonics With Feeling readers are suitable for students in Year 1 or 2, or slightly older catch-up readers. The purchaser may print up to five copies of each book (i.e. 40c per print ex GST).
The Set Five readers introduce the following vowel digraphs: ai as in rain, ay as in day, oa as in goat, ur as in burn, ea as in head, ow as in cow.
Each book focuses on only one spelling for each vowel sound, except in the case of ai/ay. Because the child will have encountered the digraph ay in tricky words already introduced (say, day, pay), it seems appropriate to introduce it along with the ai spelling. Also, lay and pay are spelt laid and paid in past tense.
Rain, Hail, Wind, Sun (288 words)
- When Blain’s mum complains about the weather, he tells her how he can have fun and stay snug.
Goat and Toad (312 words)
- Goat and Toad are big rivals, and one day their competitiveness goes too far.
Bob the Burping Burglar (304)
- Bob is good at burgling, until a witch hurls a curse at him!
Heather and Fred (310 words)
- ea as in head
- Fred likes to play games on his tablet, but his sister, Heather, encourages him to have some real adventures.
Cow, Sow, Fowl, and Owl (270 words)
- ow as in cow
- When the three farm animals want to change their lives, the owl gives them some advice.