Classroom programs for learners aged ~5-7
US and Irish materials tend to be less applicable than UK ones in Australia due to accent differences (Australian English has no syllable-final “r” sound)
- Code-Breakers by the Hamilton Trust (UK)
- Dandelion Launchers and Dandelion Readers and workbooks (UK)
- Fitzroy Readers (Aus)
- Floppy’s Phonics (UK)
- Freereading (US, free resources)
- Get Reading Right (Aus)
- Hooked on Phonics (US)
- Horizons 1998 (US, reading program)
- Jolly Phonics (UK), also available in Australia from SPELD SA or Modern Teaching Aids, and there is a Jolly Phonics YouTube channel.
- LEM Phonics (Aus)
- Little Learners Love Literacy (Aus), who also run regular, affordable workshops. I’ve made a video about their lovely books for beginners, which you can watch here.
- Phonics Bug (UK), but as far as I can work out Pearson Australia only sells the Bug Club books, not other components of Phonics Bug.
- Phonics International (UK).
- Promoting Literacy Development or PLD (Aus)
- Pocket Rockets (AUS), or a video about them is here. Should be used with strategies from Phase 2 and 3 of the free Letters and Sounds guide, and resources following the Letters and Sounds sequence, available from Smartkids.
- Read Write Inc (UK), there is a video about this program here.
- Reading Mastery (US)
- Reading Teacher (US)
- Sounds Good Phonics (Ireland), sold internationally by Gill and MacMillan
- Sounds Together (UK)
- Sounds~Write (UK), training and resources also available in Australia, here’s a video from the 2015 Melbourne Sounds~Write training.
- Spalding (US), click here for Australian supplier
- Wilson Reading Program (US)
- Zoo Phonics (US)
Also, US Professor Janice Light has designed a literacy curriculum for learners who use Augmentative and Alternative Communication, so if your students have significant disabilities this looks well worth investigating.
Plus the US National Right To Read Foundation publishes a list of phonics resources suitable for schools, which I never find time to go through and research in detail.