Small group or 1:1 programs for ages 5-7 needing extra help
NB Differences in accent make US and Canadian materials less suitable for use in Australia than UK ones.
- Agility With Sound (NZ), in Australia contact Michael Sewell 0420 831 443.
- Burt Books (South Africa/UK)
- Dandelion Launchers and Dandelion Readers and workbooks (UK)
- Early Interventions in Reading (US)
- Fitzroy Readers and Workbooks (Aus)
- Freereading (US, free resources)
- Get Reading Right Power Pack (Aus)
- InitiaLit (Aus)
- Jolly Phonics (UK), also available in Australia from SPELD SA or Modern Teaching Aids
- Lindamood Bell Seeing Stars, (US, available from Gander Publishing, or in Australia from Silvereye).
- Little Learners Love Literacy (Aus), who also run regular, affordable workshops. I’ve made a video about their lovely books for beginners, which you can watch here.
- MiniLit (Aus, 20-week small group program for schools)
- Phonics International (UK)
- Phonological Awareness for Literacy (PAL) (Aus, has group lessons with individual followup activities).
- The Pocket Rockets teacher/parent pack can be used with other resources following the Letters and Sounds sequence, many of which are available from Smartkids. A video about the Pocket Rockets is here.
- Rapid Phonics (UK)
- Read Write Inc One-To-One Tutoring Kit
- Reading Teacher (US)
- Reinforced Reading Program (Aus, from Multilit)
- Remediation Plus (Canada)
- Sound Foundations (UK)
- Sounds Good Phonics (Ireland), sold internationally by Gill and Macmillan
- Sounds-Write (UK), Australian trainer/supplier is Mary Gladstone
- Spalding (US), click here for Australian supplier
- Understanding Words (Aus)
- Wilson Reading Program (US) available in Australia from Pro-Ed.
- Word Attack Skills Extension Program (Aus, from Multilit)
The Spelfabet resources from this website can also be used to explicitly teach phonemic awareness and phoneme-grapheme correspondences to struggling learners. They should be used in conjunction with decodable books and other materials targeting fluency, vocabulary and comprehension, e.g. from the Phonic Books range, Little Learners Love Literacy books, apps and other resources and/or the Pocket Rockets booklets (there are two sets).
For resources suitable for 8-12 year old children and teenagers, click here.